Ah Spring! The time to celebrate new life and growth. And that is also true of all the creepy crawly things, bees and bugs. Although I love Spring time, it's also the time of year when there's the fear of getting a letter sent home saying that Lice is going around at the school. We just got a letter sent home last week and now I'm being extra diligent to spray them down.
Ever since preschool, I would spray my kids with my home-made lice prevention spray. I did this for years and we had absolutely no problems. However, our first year in Germany we moved houses. For about a month we were out of sorts with our routine and we didn't use the spray (it was probably in a moving box somewhere). During that time we got it, and my life was turned completely upside down. Thankfully, we were very diligent in treating it, and those buggers never came back, and we continue to use our home-made spray to prevent it. I spray their hair, hoodies, and backpacks. ;)
Once your child gets it though, your life is an entire different world and there's no going back. There's always that fear that they might get it again. The Doctors office waiting room, Dentist chairs, bus seats, train seats, and seats at the movie theater are are always scanned before sitting down. Just the thought of it can make your head itch. Scratch, scratch.
If you child does get it, I'm so sorry! Life will go on after the anxiety. I promise. I could tell you all about how to take care of it so they won't come back, but there are many websites for that. When I started making my own spray, I didn't find any recipe on how to make your own so I just threw the essential oils together that various websites said lice don't like the smell of.
Once your child gets it though, your life is an entire different world and there's no going back. There's always that fear that they might get it again. The Doctors office waiting room, Dentist chairs, bus seats, train seats, and seats at the movie theater are are always scanned before sitting down. Just the thought of it can make your head itch. Scratch, scratch.
If you child does get it, I'm so sorry! Life will go on after the anxiety. I promise. I could tell you all about how to take care of it so they won't come back, but there are many websites for that. When I started making my own spray, I didn't find any recipe on how to make your own so I just threw the essential oils together that various websites said lice don't like the smell of.
I've had people ask me before for my recipe so I thought I would share it with you to make at home as well. Please note, I'm not a essential oil specialist, but so far it's worked for us. It's possible that it could cause sensitivity to your scalp (like dryness) because it's really high potent stuff so just exercise caution but we've never had any problems with it. If needed, decrease the amount of drops you add to your spray. With essential oil use you need to be careful so please do your own research as well. This is a great website with an extensive list of the essential oils (the uses and cautions) as well as this site. Another place that I've purchased oils from are from Eden's Gardens. They have great prices on their essential oils.
1.) 16 oz. Spray Bottle (I got mine here on Amazon.com. It has a very good spray mist that you will want for hair). Not all spray bottles are created equal.
2.) Distilled Water
3.) Tea Tree Oil (100% essential oil)~ 70 drops
4.) Peppermint Oil (100% essential oil)~ 20-30 drops

Thank you for this! I've been teaching for over 25 years, been to orphanages in Mexico & Nicaragua twice each and have just had my first run in with lice! Ugh!! It was embarrassing and humbling to let my husband and daughter help me go through my tangled masses! But I'm all about natural and prevention, so this was a terrific find! Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recipe! How much spray would you say you used on each child and their belongings? I'm just wondering how long to expect an 16oz bottle to last for three kiddos in School. Thanks!!
ReplyDeletewould love to know the answer to this as well!
DeleteHi! I see you wrote this a few years ago but if you could tell me how to use it? How much do I spray on their heads and where? How often?
ReplyDelete