Finally, some pictures of Josiah's birthday! I can't believe he's 11 already.
Josiah was born 11 years ago on January 23rd, 2003. That was a day that I will never forget. It was the day I became a momma. It was surrounded by wonderful memories of our friends and church family coming for visits, and a day that God blessed us with a growing family, where two became three! The foundation of our family was starting, unplanned by us but planned by God. Every time I remember how we got his name, it reminds of God's goodness and graciousness to us. In times where I feel like He's so far away, it's a reminder that he really does speak to us if we will listen. Let me share how we got his name!
We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl and I was five months pregnant when we decided on a name. I say 'we', but God really showed us the name for him. Richie was in the kitchen and I was on the sofa reading. He came in the living room and said, "Hey, what about Josiah?"
Josiah Gifaldi (a soft 'g' as in giraffe). It really had a nice ring to it. "Josiah Gifaldi. I like that," I said not getting up from the couch. I was doing a devotional reading in my Bible, and I looked down to keep reading. This was the next verse. No joke.
1. Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty one years. 2. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and followed the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left. (2 Chronicles 34:1-2)
* When we first researched his name we thought maybe it meant 'God's foundation' something Aramaic, but then years later, I thought it was 'Fire of God' coming from Aleph and Shin in Hebrew. Other places online say that it is 'God will save' (but there is no Ayin, it's an Aleph... and anyways it's Aramaic).
Our friend helped us out on the translation for Josiah. Thank you, Joe! Recently, we had the opportunity to meet him and his wife, Beverly, who are living in Israel. They are friends of an old friend of ours. They are missionaries in Israel and he is working on his Ph.D. (something super smart with Hebrew and the translation with the Dead Sea Scrolls). It is amazing the people they meet and the friendships they are making, like with their auto Mechanic, and with their Arab neighbors. They go up to the Old City every weekend and see the same people in their shops. I love how they are living with the people they want to reach!
Click here for Israel pictures blog post, and to see our pictures from our last trip to Israel.
Josiah was born 11 years ago on January 23rd, 2003. That was a day that I will never forget. It was the day I became a momma. It was surrounded by wonderful memories of our friends and church family coming for visits, and a day that God blessed us with a growing family, where two became three! The foundation of our family was starting, unplanned by us but planned by God. Every time I remember how we got his name, it reminds of God's goodness and graciousness to us. In times where I feel like He's so far away, it's a reminder that he really does speak to us if we will listen. Let me share how we got his name!
We didn't know if we were having a boy or girl and I was five months pregnant when we decided on a name. I say 'we', but God really showed us the name for him. Richie was in the kitchen and I was on the sofa reading. He came in the living room and said, "Hey, what about Josiah?"
Josiah Gifaldi (a soft 'g' as in giraffe). It really had a nice ring to it. "Josiah Gifaldi. I like that," I said not getting up from the couch. I was doing a devotional reading in my Bible, and I looked down to keep reading. This was the next verse. No joke.
1. Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty one years. 2. He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and followed the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left. (2 Chronicles 34:1-2)
Woah! My Bible was already open to that page and that was the exact next verse! I ran into the kitchen and said, "I think we're having a boy" and showed Richie the passage that I had just read after he told me, 'Josiah'.
We were in awe.
So, when a boy was born, you can guess that we undoubtedly gave him the name Josiah David with no hesitation. His middle name is after my dad, but also has a double meaning since Josiah in the Bible was also a descendant of David.
We were in awe.
So, when a boy was born, you can guess that we undoubtedly gave him the name Josiah David with no hesitation. His middle name is after my dad, but also has a double meaning since Josiah in the Bible was also a descendant of David.
Josiah (יאשיהו) = Jehovah heals
Jehovah heals . The root is aleph shin hey. The secondary root
which is the root for heal is yod hey vav. It doesn't come from
Hebrew but from
Aramaic. *(see below)
David (דויד) = Beloved
Grandma's home-made Cinnamon Rolls for his class.
Josiah doesn't like cake
But he likes Carrot cupcakes
I like getting a picture with the kids every year on their birthday. Of course, this one will not be forgotten, because he just tooted. Hey, just keeping it real.
I Can't believe he's already 11. He started setting his stopwatch to wake up earlier to take showers before school and he wore cologne to school today. What??
I Can't believe he's already 11. He started setting his stopwatch to wake up earlier to take showers before school and he wore cologne to school today. What??
* When we first researched his name we thought maybe it meant 'God's foundation' something Aramaic, but then years later, I thought it was 'Fire of God' coming from Aleph and Shin in Hebrew. Other places online say that it is 'God will save' (but there is no Ayin, it's an Aleph... and anyways it's Aramaic).
Our friend helped us out on the translation for Josiah. Thank you, Joe! Recently, we had the opportunity to meet him and his wife, Beverly, who are living in Israel. They are friends of an old friend of ours. They are missionaries in Israel and he is working on his Ph.D. (something super smart with Hebrew and the translation with the Dead Sea Scrolls). It is amazing the people they meet and the friendships they are making, like with their auto Mechanic, and with their Arab neighbors. They go up to the Old City every weekend and see the same people in their shops. I love how they are living with the people they want to reach!
Click here for Israel pictures blog post, and to see our pictures from our last trip to Israel.

No comments:
Post a Comment
My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!