Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Being Content~Embracing Motherhood

We've been home for two weeks already and finally into the groove of being settled on our time zone here in Germany. It was rough the first week back. All four of my darlings would wake me up in the middle of the night when they couldn't sleep. I was exhausted. Now, we're back on track and hoping to enjoy our last few weeks of summer break before the kids are back in school! I wrote this just before leaving for vacation so when it says 'yesterday' it was really a few weeks ago. ;)

~photo taken from Hyland's Teething Tablets on Facebook.

I've got to imagine that the person who wrote this has experienced the full range of feelings and experiences of parenthood. The quote above holds true no matter what the age!


Pace had a crying fit after his nap yesterday as he has been doing most days. Usually (for the past month), nothing I say will console him and sometimes any attention makes it worse. I thought today wouldn't be any different. Kids can be so needy! Do you ever feel like you don't have enough energy to give? Or how to share your time equally with fill~in~the~blank~# of kids, and a husband? I feel that way sometimes and I have to pray for his special strength, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."(Philippians 4:13)


I was sitting on the couch playing a game with Josiah at the moment he decided to have one of his after naptime fits. Kindergarten and learning the German language has really made him tired! I find him passed out in the most interesting positions. 

I didn't really want to be bothered by his outburst. That's human in me. It's hard sometimes to find a good balance making time for all of your kids and their individual needs.  I really wanted to enjoy some time my oldest son as we just sat down on the couch together. The little ones demand our time, and for the older ones, we really need to make that time and that is a huge challenge for me. Then I realized there was a fire that needed to be put out, and it was me that had to do it. I stopped what I was doing, looked down at Pace's tear soaked cheeks, swooped down and picked him up into my arms. I sat down with him on the couch and cradled his little head. The crying stopped. He looked up at me with his big blueish-gray eyes and rested his head again on my chest with his arms clutched around me. He was one content boy. I was one content mama. 


I was content being that mama that felt needed. I was content being able to calm him down.  I was content kissing his still-soft-baby-cheeks. I was content by just being there with him in my arms. Actually, I was more than content. I was embracing my motherhood and so full of joy.

Philippians 4:11 
"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."

I know that verses can be taken out of context, but sometimes I find that verses can be used for encouragement and can stand alone by themselves in certain situations. By saying this, I know that Paul was literally talking about poverty and knowing what it was like to be in need and being content no matter what the circumstance. But when he says 'whatever circumstances', I feel it can be applied to anything. For me, it applies to the daily tasks of our jobs, or of any situation for that matter. It's so easy to get caught up in the circumstances and not fully standing in the grace of God. 


"...For I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances" (Philippians 4:11). 


Even in the crying, the fighting, the refereeing, the daily mundane chores of my job such as laundry, dishes, cleaning up spills, making dinner, taking out the trash, (your list might be different from mine) that have to been done e v e r y d a y. It seems never ending at times. Most of the times I'm very content and feel so fortunate to have this job! Sometimes though, because I'm human, there are moments that I loose sight of what really matters and want to pull my frickin' hair out! And sometimes, God has to gently remind me to be content. It is those times when I take a step back and fully embrace motherhood and all that comes with it, that I am once again content, yet even more than that!  It's reminding each other how lucky we are to be mothers of our children and the important task we have of raising them into adults; adults that care, and love and have a heart for Jesus. It's encouraging our mom friends during the different stages of raising our children and all that comes with it~not always with advice but with a listening ear. It's encouraging each other in our roles as mothers to do the most important yet simple thing...love our kids! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!