Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Christmas List~ Slow down

It's not really a Christmas list, but these are things that I will try to make an effort to do this cold winter season. Some of the things on the list I've already started. Like walking Luna to Kindergarten instead of driving (maybe half the time and not every time). It doesn't seem like a big difference, but it's nice to get out and get some fresh air, exercise, and not drive all the time.

I've noticed that when I put the kids to bed a little early, I have time to read several books with them instead of just one, and time to sing several songs with them instead instead of just one. It makes a huge difference when we start a little bit early and I don't feel rushed. Less yelling too.

In no particular order...things I've started doing and WILL do while the kids are on break. Makes the days so much better.

1.) Make cookies with the kids (Elee picked out some things for cookies yesterday at the store)
2.) Play in the snow with the kids while they are on school break
3.) Slow down
4.) Go on a walk everyday no matter how cold
5.) Sit on the floor and play games with the kids
6.) A couple of days play any game that Josiah wants on the Wii with him
7.) Reflect on Jesus' birth, lifetime, and all that He has done for us. To come back to my first love and enjoy Him. To be filled with excitement of an eternity with our Savior, Jesus the Messiah.
8.) Stop. Listen. Give more hugs. Give more meaningful encouraging words to my kids and husband.
9.) Take time putting the kids to bed...start early!
10.) Do a few crafts with the kids. Spend more quality time with them during their break.


I know these are just simple things. It doesn't seem like much, and if I had to pick just one off the list it would be to sloooow down and then honestly, everything else would fall into place.  I often cram the schedule with things to do or phone calls to make that I don't take the time to really enjoy. The past few weeks we've been really trying to make it a habit of having family movie night, and dates with the kids. It's hard with four, but I know other families manage with more kids. The kids are at such a fun age and we are really enjoying them.

Here's some things going on in our world....

Josiah just read his first 550+ page book. Excuse me, 553 page book. I stand corrected by Josiah just now. He is a book worm! It's so exciting to watch him develop more and more and his love for reading. I wake him up every morning with back tickles and I think he likes. He says he prefers when I wake him up instead of daddy.

Elee is still giving me cuddles...he calls it, mommy cuddle time and I oblige with all my heart. If he's asking...he definitely needs it. I think he needs it more than the average kid. I love it! He just finished his first Chapter book a couple weeks ago. He's behind in his reading, but we are hoping to get him caught up by the end of the year. He is doing better and better with his words and is doing great on his spelling tests. The reading is just harder for him. He doesn't enjoy it as much, but he LOVES math and a couple months ago was the only one in his class to get a 100% on one of the tests.

Lately Luna has been coloring pictures of Princesses. They are fascinating and full of color! At church yesterday they did the whole lesson in German and she understood, and talked back all in German. She is doing great! Last night when we were reading books before bed, she picked one out on shapes and she was saying them and talking in German. So. much. fun! I'm still amazed that she is speaking German as well as she is and that she likes it!

Pace is pooing in the potty more, even at friends houses and with his clothes on he'll come up to me and tell me he needs to go! We are excited!!! He says all his 's' words with 'sh' sound. It is so adorable.

Richie took a two week long course and last week got the best score in his class on a 4 hour Energy test. Now he has another certification called Certified Energy Manager (CEM). My man is smart!

Luna and I matched yesterday (when I wrote this).....
It was not planned... but funny when we realized it. It was a red and leopard kind of day.

  

5 comments:

  1. I love every bit of this blog today. Love hearing your thoughts on how to make your family time stretch, that the boys are reading, reading, reading, that Luna is a "German" girl and Pace is pottying!!!! OH, and that "smart" husband of yours!! Tell him CONGRATS from me (he gets some of his smarts from me...of course...but not sure where the rest came from! lol)

    I always make a goal of losing weight and exercising more. I need to walk in the winter, too...I did it all the time when we visited you 2 years ago (2 years ago tonite we arrived in Germany!), but rarely do it here. My feet hurt at times and I think it is my diet and lack of exercise, along with my extra weight, so will really like to work on this goal this year.

    Good luck with your list...I think it is very do-able! LOVE YOU ALL!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the Elee "mommy cuddle time" and Josiah's back tickling wake up! Love them!! I can picture it happening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had to get that out there! :) I miss you so much girlie! Just catching up on the blog. Hope you guys had a great holiday! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pace is pooing in the potty more" that, my friend, is a victorious moment! Made me laugh out loud, too. :) Even when the kids are grown and gone, you will find that bathroom issues are still major topics of conversation! I've loved catching up with your lives. LOVE!! From SoCal

    ReplyDelete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!