Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

The Crying Runner~& My Mom. Sorry it's a bit long.

I went jogging yesterday after I laid Pace down for his nap. It's always a break when I can go by myself with no jogging stroller.  Rich came home early because he had to do a lovely conference call meeting to the US until 11PM. This was because of the time difference. He never had to work that late since we moved here.

I set out for my run to do a measly 4 miles without Pace. I was doing great a couple months ago running 10 miles at a time and wanted to do another half marathon this fall. My stupid foot had me turn around early and I only got 3.5 miles in. I know when I can push past the pain, but lately I haven't been able to with my foot pain. It feels like it's getting worse and it makes me so frustrated. 

I set off running and it was beautiful. I could've gone without my jacket but I wore it anyways which I ended up tying around my waist mid-run because I got hot. I saw many ladies out enjoying the day. Ladies having a little snack on a bench by the Rhine River, ladies walking alone. Some ladies walking their dogs together.  For some reason, it got me thinking about my momma. I was thinking how I'll never have that with her. I'm far away from home to even have anything close like that with the rest of my family too. I think this has to be the hardest thing about being away from my family.

Most of you know that shortly after my mom got ill (she had a brain tumor), I got out of the Navy and we went to live with my parents. For Richie and I, especially after owning our own home, it was a total hit on our pride..."Hey! We're moving in with the parents!", but that's what the family needed at the time. I was the only one who had the ability to help because I stayed at home with the kids, we were able to move, and we were just easy about where we were going to live. So we set off from Georgia, packed up our things and moved to Michigan... and in with my parents in the summer of 2004. 

My dad was an amazing and generous 'room-mate' if I can use that term loosely. :) Richie always tells people that if he had to live with someone else he was glad that it was 'Dave'...even though he went like two years calling him, 'hey man' cuz he wasn't sure what to call him. Dave...dad. lol. 'Hey Man' works I guess. He literally gave us half the house to use at our disposal. Our own living room, three bedrooms on the opposite end of the house and our own bathroom. It was ideal for our circumstances.

The surgeries for my mom kept coming after the onset of radiation necrosis (dying dead cells because of the radiation). She had 6 or 7 brain surgeries in total to remove dead cells. She had way too much radiation and it was also misdirected. She couldn't talk and she couldn't walk. She eventually had to use a feeding tube because of her high risk for aspiration (choking). She needed care 24 hours a day. My dad was the sole care-giver but because he worked during the day, I stayed at home with her (and with our little kids). Josiah was only 19 months when we moved there, and I was pregnant with Elee.  Although I wouldn't change taking care of my mother for anything, I probably would've done it differently. I would've asked friends and family for more help. Some never offered, some did. Sometimes I actually took people up on their offers. Sometimes.  But not often.

I can remember a couple people who cared enough to come over and help... or just to sit with me or to share in a book study or Bible study with me. These memories will be forever stored in my heart and for those few, I'm so grateful.  It was so hard being a young parent, and having to take care of a parent. And on top of that, I literally couldn't leave the house. I was trapped with two little kids and confined to the house.  I rarely made play~dates unless it was people coming to our side of town and they could come visit us. I felt alone. A lot. My husband was going to school full time working hard to get his Engineering degree plus he was working a full time job at Walmart at the beginning. Eventually he got some internships, but he was still doing full time school and work in the city of Detroit. I was always thankful even then for a hard working husband. Some woman can only dream of that.

I understand that many people didn't know how to help. Especially, people didn't know how to be around someone with these disabilities. It can be very awkward when you're not around it day after day. What do you say? What do you do? It can be hard to relate when you're not living it or haven't lived it. I have friends who have children with disabilities and I know they feel alone at times too. Alone in their desperate need for people just to listen. Needing people to think they are not crazy. Needing people just to be there.  Needing friends and family to reach out and help them. 

I am thankful for my dad who came home at lunch time everyday. I'd call him often at work and when he would answer the phone he always sounded happy to talk to me. Even if I was calling him everyday. Even if I was calling for him to pick up lunch on the way home. Thankfully he worked only 5-10 minutes from the house. And if I felt alone, I always thought of my dad. He didn't have my mom to talk with, only to talk to. I still had my mate to talk with at night before bed, when we share about all life's problems and struggles.  My dad had no one. She still had her sparkle in her eye, but she could never talk back! It was so frustrating and just writing this I'm getting tears gracing my face and I get angry. Angry...still?! And Sad! Honestly I can't think of the words. The sadness that she couldn't eat what we were eating because she could be only fed from the tube because she literally couldn't swallow. The late nights my dad had with sometimes no sleep. Towards the end, we had to suction her so she wouldn't choke. There were many times my dad would get up in the middle of the night to suction her. There are so many details to this story. So many details people will never know except me, or maybe my dad, maybe Richie. But even then, the reality is that no one ever sees or will see things from the perspective that you have lived.  Unless they have lived it.

When I look back, it's a crazy world of mixed emotions...still. Maybe writing this all down will be some sort of therapy for me. I freely talk about it when I need to, but maybe there is something to the writing part. 

When I look back, I get angry. Angry at the people in our lives that were too busy to help. I pray to God to continue to work in me forgiveness and to take away that bitterness. Psalm 51:11 Create in me a clean heart, O God! And renew a right spirit within me. Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite (repentant) heart, O God, you will not despise.


When I look back, I get pissed that not even the people close to me will truly understand the struggles I had during that time. I'm still a WIP (work in progress) on that as well. 

When I look back, I'm reminded of the people who graciously did help. Even people with children and busy lives of their own. And I'm so thankful for God planting them in our lives at that time.

When I look back, I see a struggling mama, who could only cry on her mama's bed and get no answer....just a gentle stroke to her hair, and the twinkles of her own mothers eyes. At that time, it was more than enough.

When I look back, I see my children watching their mother. Being busy. All the time. Sometimes too busy for them.

When I look back, I see my children, husband, and dad thinking I'm crazy for staying up late and spending my time playing Bejeweled Blitz.

When I look back, I feel guilty about how I felt so stretched that I had nothing good to give to anyone.

When I look back, I am thankful that my kids got to see that you take care of family.

When I look back, I am glad that I got to be there all those moments for my mother when she needed it, who selflessly took care of me and my brothers and sister when we were younger.

When I look back.  

And then we guilt people into thinking looking back is bad. That it's bad to bring up the difficult memories of the past. But I feel it's all part of the process of letting go. Day by day. One day at a time. 

Looking back just to look back and have pity on yourself is one thing. But, when you look back to move forward...there's healing that takes place. And forgiveness that has to happen. Forgiveness to let go of all the bitterness and anger.  

She died at home in the summer of 2008. In my dad's arms. With most of us there at the home. And it was peaceful. As peaceful as it could be.

So, back to my running... again. I totally started thinking of all these things and more during my run.  All the pain my mom went through. All the suffering. All the hard times, the good, and the bad times. The depression I struggled with after having our son, Elee, was born. The struggle with my faith in God.  The depression while I was pregnant with Luna. I'm sure a lot of it was circumstantial,  but none the less, it was depression. Struggling to raise healthy and happy kids and give them your undivided attention is one thing. How can you do it with depression, hormone changes and taking care of your mother? I sometimes get myself caught up in the anger of it all. I know I need to let go. And I do. One day at time and only with the Lord's help. I find it resurfacing at times which must be normal becomes it happens and hits me out of nowhere, like during my run the other day. I starting crying. Tears flowing down my face, throat closing up kind of crying...while I was running. Wishing I could just walk along the river with my mom. Wishing we could share lunch together and we could talk about all the things of life. Wishing I could talk to her about her grandsons and her granddaughter and how they are doing in school and share in their achievements. 

This is my reality. 

And then I heard the birds singing their song,  the ducks flying overhead near the water, and felt what was left of the warm sun air, and I come back to realizing that life goes on.  It really does. I think I'll be sorting all these emotions out until the day that I die honestly. I'll always miss my mom. And she'll forever be in my heart and a part of me. God bless the memories of her, and may she forever be in our hearts. And may I pass down her legacy of loving my kids like she loved us. Not perfectly, but selflessly....with a wild heart and lots of love to give. 

Dad, Mom Andy (the baby)
Clinton, Aaron, Laura, Me

My mom with Josiah! This was the first time he 'laughed'! My mom was visiting us in Georgia. She found out about her brain tumor 6 months later. 










16 comments:

  1. Love you Seester.... Being a care giver is a lot of work especially being a mother and wife in the process. You did a great job. WHat a great example you were to your children, husband, and the rest of the family. I am glad I got to hang out with you and get to know you at that time. We had some fun times and sad ones. Your mother would be so proud of you..... Andy says all the time how much you remind him of her :) You guys are two peas in a pod :) Of course I wish I got to know Mom really well before she was sick, but I did in a way through you :) I love you and miss you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Stephy. Wow. Thank you. You were totally there for me during these times. And you were there for ALL of us. You rock! Even when you had to work the next day, you'd stay up late with me to watch TV and eat icecream when I was pregnant...TWICE! You always came over. Gotta go get some kleenex....lolol. love you so much.

      Delete
  2. You are an amazing daughter and mother and I can only imagine how proud your mom is of you and how thankful she is that you were there with her everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful memoir, Maggie. She may not physically be there walking or running alongside of you, but she is there. Your mom is always with you and guiding you along with God's hands. You are a wonderful mother. She is proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Roxane. Hope she is running in heaven. A mother goes with you everywhere that is for sure! If at least in our hearts. I love you!

      Delete
  4. Maggie,
    That was beautiful! I'm in tears as I read this. I'm sure your Mother appreciated everything you did for her. I'm willing to bet that she is walking with you and watching over you. You are a remarkable, amazing woman with amazing strength and a wonderful example to your children of what a family is and does. I know it has to be hard being so far away from your family and friends, but I pray that you will conitnue to have your strength, health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie! Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to read this. ;) I don't feel like i'm any of those things. But thankful that my kids got to see that you take care of family. Thanks so much Debbie! xoxox

      Delete
  5. Oh Maggie...your strength is in the Lord as is mine...not much without Him!

    I will always be grateful for the help you gave to your Mom and to me. I don't know how I could possibly have kept your Mom at home through all that she went through without you...and for your Mom that was the greatest gift you could ever have given her because being home with family was her greatest delight. Remember her holding Luna? She may not have had a voice to speak or legs to walk, but she held that girl and glowed.

    You need to focus on what she gave you and not what you lost. Her life was a gift that is with us every moment of every day. I don't know when it was but some time ago I turned a corner...and I thank God for that. Prior to that I could beat myself up pretty bad for what I lost and for what I or others did or didn't do...hardest on myself. It helped to understand that the "lost-ness" that others felt in dealing with Judy didn't diminish their love for her. Perhaps the thing that helped was when my friend Pat (who was there when Judy died) came to me a year after and explained that being there for your Mom resolved a personal failure in her life. She felt she had not been there for her own Mom when she passed away and prayed constantly for God to forgive her and take away the burden of guilt that had eaten away at her for years...and through your Mom He did. We make mistakes. We fail. But God never does. God didn't fail us and never will.

    I still cry sometimes...but mostly they are tears of gratitude for the beautiful kids I have, the time I was given and memories made with your Mom, and for the amazing grace that God shows us through the worst of times.

    Be blessed daughter...God wants you to live in the sunshine.

    It takes clouds to paint the most beautiful sunsets. So too the trials in our lives reflect the glory of God in colors that only the heart can comprehend...and what we reflect is what the world sees. You are quite a rainbow!!

    There will always be times of grief and loss for us but I pray that you will find even more those times of remembering, rejoicing, and peace.

    ...besides...we ARE going to see her soon and won't we dance!

    I love you

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dad!!!
      So sorry it has taken so long to write a response! I have been wanting to write something back to your comment but it has been so hard to find the time lately. I haven't even written many blog posts...at least not any with too much writing. It has been taking too much time that I feel I don't have! eeek.

      I love the picture of the clouds. They DO make the most beautiful sunsets! I love that visual. ;) Hey you should start a blog! I wanna keep up on all of your and Deb's adventures! I doooo remember that picture of mom holding luna! I tried looking for it when posting this but i never could find it. Do you have it?

      I focus a lot on what she gave, but it's not always without pain at the moment. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I learned a lot from her during those years....so much in fact. It's hard for me to express so many things at once. Maybe it will come in another post. It's a gift that now you are at a place where you can focus on what mom gave you...God gave you, during the tough years. I'm so happy that you are in a place where you know that God gives second chances. There was a time where you weren't able to believe that after mom died. Do you remember that? I know you will use the strength God gives you now and share it when others don't have it. ;)

      I love you so much dad! Miss you!!!
      xoxoo

      Delete
  6. Maggie!!! Thanks for sharing this amazing blog. You're really good at writing it all down. I can relate to a lot of your feelings with mom. Especially the ones of wanting to share your life, your children's lives and just a lunch with her. It always makes me sad. It's hard for me to relate to all the sacrifices you made when you lived there cuz I wasn't there for most of it. I'm so so so so glad you were there. I know it was so hard on your family but when I look at our family and everyone in it.....God put YOU in that role for a reason. And I AM FOREVER grateful and extremely glad for it. It may be why you handle chaos so well (not to mention having 4 kids) but seriously, you handle craziness really well (me not so much).

    I remember dad having Larry and his sons working on the house who were such kind people. I remember talking to one of the brother-in-laws who had lost his mother a few years before mom died and I asked him, "does it ever get easier?" He stopped whatever he was doing, thought about it and said "No, you just get used to it." I always think of that because it doesn't ever get easier. I get used to life without mom but it's never easier for me. It still sucks. And like you said, it's a process.

    You resemble mom in many ways which is awesome. I just wish we lived closer to each other. We need to do something about that, lol.

    Anyway, I could probably write a book on here. Thank you for sharing your most intimate thoughts and feelings about mom and the time you had to take care of her, selflessly. I wish I could be more like you in so many ways.

    I love you, my sister, my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura~
      I know we talk almost everyday on the phone.......sorry i'm just replying to this now. We have so many great memories. In all of this, I'm so thankful to God that I have you for a sister. You have always been there for me, for the family, and were always a tremendous help during your visits. Remember when you were pregnant with Jude and stayed for 2 months? That was AWESOME!
      Besides Rich, you are my best friend in all the world. I love you so much sister. I wish we lived closer too!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  7. Oh wait, and the only thing I DO disagree with you on is that you DID have lots of "good" to offer others. You really did. This goes along with how you handle chaos so well. After a rough day, you didn't cancel small group, or want to be alone!! You welcomed company, you welcomed helping others. You welcomed phone calls. You welcomed friends that you hadn't seen in awhile coming to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh love...you have been through so much in your lifetime, and have always handled it with such grace and poise. It was hard to even tell what you were going through because you are always so adaptable, and so capable. I wish I could have done more for you, especially now that I have read more about the way you were feeling at the time. Your mom would be so proud of you--hold tight to the good memories. Love you!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CARRI!!!!
      So sorry I'm just replying now. I'm finally taking a moment to reply to some comments. ;) It's been a crazy (well, better than crazy cuz I've been trying to slow down) past few months. Hard to find the time to write anything. Girl, you were always there! You were always so amazing when you would come visit and just hang out in my mom's room like nothing. That must be the doctor in you. lolol. You were always great to talk to about the 'medical' side of things cuz you are so smart and knew/know all the fancy terms. You were there for me more than you know. I love you Carri!!!

      Delete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!