Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

DIY~Sweatshirt Velvet Sun Inlay


I bought this sweatshirt on sale for about $2 last spring. It was 75% off and thought I could do a fun and cheap project out of this. I finally found the time to make something and thought it would be cool to do a velvet inlay. 

I love the way it turned out!!! My boys liked it too and want me to make one for them. ;) It was so sweet when they were talking about it and the designs that they wanted, like a fire design up the sleeves! It was definitely a hit with the kids, and it's totally something that I'll be wearing around the house....like I am today!

I made this last week and it took a total of 3 hours. 

What you'll need:
~A sweatshirt
~Extra fabric (I used a leftover scrap velvet piece)
~A walking foot for the sewing machine (to move freely over fabric)
~Some artist tape
~thread of course

1.) I knew I wanted to make a sun shape on my sweatshirt (I love suns), so have an idea in mind for the picture you want. I used a tupperware bowl to assist me in making a nice center shape for the sun. Then I placed tape around that to get the shape I wanted. 



2.) Once all the tape is in place, then you can turn the sweatshirt inside out and pin the material on the wrong side (or you can do this step first if you're afraid the tape will fall off during the turning in and out process) . Then flip again to the correct side again to begin sewing.

Here's a picture of the walking foot. If you don't have one, I imagine you could do these stitches by hand, but it will take some time.

3.) Sew around the tape to give it dimension and shape. If the walking foot goes over the tape it's okay. The tape is very thin and shouldn't break the needle.

4.) Now for the fun part! Pull off the tape. Then cut the centers of the pieces sewn, carefully pulling from the inside the velvet fabric away from the sweatshirt so it won't be cut on accident.








Don't forget to enter the Burt's Bee's giveaway ending in a few days right here!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can't wait to see the boys' shirts! They will be really cool with the fire design up the sleeve! You are so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job!!! So nice :)

    ReplyDelete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!