Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Airplane Approved Car Seats for Toddlers


I wanted to share my airline car seat experience since we fly a lot and I'm sure there are others that do as well and have the same trouble I've had. 


Several years ago, we flew over seas (it was a Canadian airline) and they would not let us bring our car seat on the airplane. It was a huge ordeal since our aunt bought the carseat for us and brought it over to Germany to us from the USA. When we got to the check in, they said it had the wrong sticker on it, that it wasn't Canadian certified. I started crying that they wouldn't let us bring it on. An 8 hour flight without a car seat? It sucked!!! The airline websites have lists with approved ones, but the lists are minimal. Otherwise, if flying in the States, as long as it's FAA (Federal Aviation Approved) approved or has the airplane sticker on it, you should be okay! I decided never to fly the Canadian airlines again.

Before leaving for our trip to the States I remembered how difficult it is to fly with Pace (at his age of 2 years) without a car seat on the airplane. I was going to be flying by myself with four kids by myself. So, the last two weeks before we left I frantically started searching for a car seat. Why did I wait until last minute?? I starting thinking about the flight and the customs and how it pan out with me flying with four kids and Richie not being there. 

I searched the German stores.  They had some that were airline approved but they were 200 euros or more! I searched online, but none of the websites, such as Toys R Us or Amazon, would tell me if the car seats have the airplane approved sticker on them or not. I started calling stores (in the US) and asked if they could check the floor for me with car seats that had the stickers on them. They found one, for toddlers...the Evelflo Maestro. However, no luck for me, since Toys R Us wanted $100 to ship it me to my APO address! 

For toddlers, this seemed to be the best priced one with the sticker on it~ Evenflo Maestro. Good for children from 20-100 pounds. However, I couldn't get it shipped to my APO address. 

I ended up calling the military base 2 hours from me since the base closest didn't have one. To my joy, they had ONE that had an airplane sticker on it, and it's the Eddie Bauer Comfort 65 Infant Car Seat (and up to 65 pounds!!), Colfax. It was $150. Yikes! But, it made an 8 hour plane ride by myself with four small kids doable. You can get it on Amazon for about $170. It was so worth it!

Also remember, that unfortunately boosters are not allowed. I'm completely satisfied with our Eddie Bauer. It can be used from birth up to 65 pounds! So it will be good for several more years and several more trips. Plus it has a mechanism where you can recline the seat. ;)

If you own or know of any other car seat that is airline approved, I'd loved to know! Let me know by leaving a comment on the blog!

~Evenflo Maestro
~Eddie Bauer Comfort 65 Infant Car Seat



And if you're wondering what it can look like....








No comments:

Post a Comment

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!