Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

3 month NO Shopping Challenge


Our trip to the States was like usual,  shopping like crazy to stock up on things I can't really get here in Germany.  Going to the outlet stores was super fun and I was able to buy some things that I've been wanting. I also bought material to make Luna and Pace both a quilt!! We shipped a big box to ourselves and I'm looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Before we left to come back home, I felt it would be a good idea to have 2-3 months of no shopping. Can  I do it?? So this is the no shopping challenge.  If you know me, you know this is reeeeally a challenge and a stretch for me. I will be able to grocery shop of course and get some eats. What it means is, no shoes, makeup, clothes for myself or the kids, or any random Amazon.com purchases. Really, there is no other option for us these next few months. We are almost paid off with Richie's school loan....and we will be DEBT FREE!!! Both of our cars are PAID OFF. Our van was paid in full last March! So this is super duper exciting.

It's so hard when I'm getting emails about all the end of summer sales. I keep reminding myself,  "Maggie, this isn't the last sale on earth. You can wait". Yes, I talk to myself. But it's a kind of therapy. ;) I did purchase a foam maker...and Richie will be buying an espresso maker at some point. Both as an anniversary present to ourselves. Nothing like a good cup of coffee. But this was discussed before my/our decision to do this. Side note: It's awesome how I can really enjoy a cup of coffee in the mornings now! I'm so thankful that God has healed me of my migraines. They are less often and I didn't even get one, NOT ONE while on our month long vacation. Not even with the 6 hour time change. I had some headaches, but Tylenol or Motrin worked!

This challenge will be tough for me. OH so tough.
We had an outreach on Saturday at the Crazy Square in Wiesbaden. I'm sure there's another name for that part of Wiesbaden on the walking area but that's what Richie and I call it. We saw a fight break out there a couple years ago all in the name of some type of religion. Hence, the name, Crazy Square. At our churches outreach, several Christian churches get together and give out free coffee and cookies and books. I played guitar with my friend, Simon. It was the first time I ventured to go to an outreach. I had done them in the past and I don't really feel like it's my style of sharing Jesus with others. But, it works for some. There's another Christian church there, not associated with the 'outreach' that yell and scream into a microphone about Jesus. It kind of makes my skin crawl. I like how our church is there peacefully to offer information. I'm still on the fence about it for me. We only do it about 4 times a year, I just pray that God will give me clarity with that.

ANYWAYS, all that being said....that a couple of us went to a shoe store afterwards. I didn't even bring my wallet. There was a pair of boots (suede with a wedge heel...not too high with a fringe tassel on it) on sale for 60 euro (plus 10% off)...normally they were 160 euro. I would've bought them had I had the cash and had I not made the commitment to spend money for 3 months. So hard. So hard.


2 comments:

  1. You have me laughing so hard...YOU not shopping...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even with your bargain shopping...can't believe it! :)

    The recipe sounds delicious, too. May have to give it a try!
    Saw a couple of books at Sam's Club last night that I may pick up for you and Richie for Christmas...just the type of things you both like to do!

    Going to work on my "grandchildren's visit" scrapbook today. Will post pics after I'm done! :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know right???? it IS hard. basically, no clothes....no shoes...for me or the kids. no unnecessary purchases. food doesn't count or stuff for their school that they need. :) we love books! you know us! i have so many right now that i've started reading...usually depends on my mood which one i pick up. ;) that will be awesome about the scrapbook!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!