Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Life in Germany~Asparagus Season (Spargelzeit)

You will see stands like this one in every town during this season.
I took this photo at the stand up the road from our house.



I love asparagus. At least I thought I did until I moved here to Germany and saw how much the Germans love asparagus. They love it so much that they actually have an asparagus 'season'. It runs from mid April until the end of June. Unlike in the States, the white variety is more well liked here. The skin is so tough that you need to peel a layer of skin prior to baking. Or you can boil it, then peel it. I've found it's easier to peel, then boil, then bake. Yeah. It's a process.....but for the love of asparagus...come on!

Here's a recipe that I made with no cookbook. I bet my German friends would have a better way to do it, but it was delicious! We ate something similar to it 'pre~ made' in the store and I tried to kind of recreate it. It's commonly made to eat by itself as a main dish or also as a side with Hollandaise sauce. Cheese and Asparagus....you can't go wrong.

1.) Peel aspargus



2.) Boil for 10 minutes or so.

3.) Rinse with cold water to make it easier to handle.

4.) Make a little breading...I used plain bread crumbs and added about 1 tsp Paprika, salt, Parmesan cheese and about 1 tsp Parsley flakes. Bread your thinly sliced meat (I used calf schnitzel) with bread crumbs and I added no egg or water.

5.) Add Cheese ( I used German 'Butter Cheese') and several Asparagus (would that be Asparagi?) and then roll it up.

I have silicone rubberbands made special for cooking....oh..my..goodness.. they work GREAT!


6.) Drizzle with your favorite Olive Oil and then Bake at 350~ish for about 30 minutes until meat is cooked all the way through. 

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!! Funny thing is I was craving this on Wednesday night! I made it with the green ones, but still was yummy!! I love that little store...you forgot to mention the "Spargel Wine!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) haha. Oh yes, the Spargel wine....lovely!

    ReplyDelete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!