Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

We did it! Dr. Joshi's 21 Day Detox



After being inspired and encouraged by a couple of friends that have done a detox, I decided to try one that is supposed to balance the Ph level of the stomach from acidic to an alkaline state. I've been suffering from acid reflux and stomach acid issues for a year and have been off and on antacid pills. I had an endoscopy done last March.  The doctor that did the procedure said that my stripped stomach lining was from Ibuprofen! Unfortunately this made sense since I was taking Ibuprofen like they were vitamins for my migraines (especially during my time in the military and afterwards). I read that people with stomach problems like mine have found relief from this particular detox so I was willing to try it. Thankfully Richie was willing to do it with me for support.

I borrowed Dr. Joshi's book from a friend and didn't fully finish it. I gave it back just before we started the detox (we wanted to start now so we'd be done before all the Christmas Markets and Gluhwein). We got our book a few days into the detox. It helped us with a recipe for a weekly liver cleanse too which was amazing. The top 10 things to avoid list , based on this 21 day detox by Dr. Joshi, was a great start to the detox. This was the basis for the first few days before we finally got the book in the mail. This is the first time we ever did a detox like this. I'm sure we made some mistakes like drinking 'almond milk' when we're not supposed to have nuts (only seeds). But I wanted to have more of a variety instead of drinking soya or rice milk all the time.

The crazy thing is that I didn't realize how intentional I would become about everything that went into my body during these three weeks. No gum or mints for this 21 day period too (aspartame is one of the ingredients in most sugar free gum) . I had one cough drop the day after Thanksgiving. This was how much I thought about the food going in my body! Being intentional about the food inadvertently made me more focused and intentional in other areas of my life too. If you've thought about doing a detox, this is a cool one to try. It was really tough to do but I just wanted to start somewhere. I needed to start somewhere. After the 21 day detox and not taking my antacid pills I can say that my stomach felt so much better at the end....and no pills!

My food diary is listed below, day by day. I'm so glad that I kept a diary of it so that I can look back and see the foods that bothered me and test them out again later to see if I get the same reactions.


Day 1: November 10th (Monday)

Started at 119.4 pounds (weighed in morning)

B: Plain yogurt with Banana & Hot water with half of lemon
Tea

late morning 'snack' - frothed Almond milk

L: Salad- Slightly sauteed Kale (we found it fresh at Globus and they only have it this time of year) with Broccoli, chicken, 1 TBSP of chia seeds and sprouted Quinoa.



snack: sunflower seeds

D: I splurged and bought some really nice fish. We had Halibut lightly salted and peppered and baked in the oven. Sprinkled with lemon. Fresh steamed broccoli on the side.

Snack: two organic rice cakes with Sunbutter spread (made from sunflower seeds)

I've had a headache all day partly due to no sleep. I wish I could make some coffee!


Day 2:

B: Plain yogurt with banana & hot water with half of lemon

late morning 'snack'- frothed Almond milk

L: Salad- Slightly sauteed Kale and onions with broccoli and chicken with 1 TBSP of chia seeds and sprouted Quinoa.

D: Sauteed Chicken Breast with little bit of Olive oil and light salt and sliced Shitake mushrooms (i know we're not supposed to have mushrooms but we already had them in the fridge..they are supposed to be a low alkalized food), then covered with 1 can of Coconut Milk and let simmer until fully cooked. Sprinkled with organic unsweetened Coconut flakes. sooooo good. String Beans on the side. Organic Red beet juice to drink.

Snack: two organic rice cakes with Sunbutter spread (made from sunflower seeds)
a few bites of cottage cheese

Day 3: 

We need a break from chicken!!!

B: Plain yogurt with Banana and Fennel Tea
Hot water with half of lemon

RAN 4.5 MILES

more tea

L: leftover salad with toasted homemade gluten free bread  from my neighbor spread with Goat's cheese. I can't find fresh gluten free bread so it was great to try hers. A friend of ours gifted us with some Organic Gluten Free Flour so I think I will make just plain bread with it.

D: Cabbage, Carrot, and Leek soup with onions and Lentils. Organic Carrot Juice to drink.

Snack: about 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a tsp of local raw honey.

more tea and water

Day 4: 

First time during the Detox that I woke up and my stomach felt on fire. Could it be the cottage cheese? or the cabbage? Haven't taken my antacid since starting the detox.

B: hot water with fresh ginger
plain yogurt with gluten free muesli and banana

mid morning: first day of Green tea

L: (ate late) Bowl of salad greens with one whole avocado, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, 1/3 of a fresh cut beet and fresh fennel. no dressing.

D: Roasted whole chicken in water with rubbed sage and thymine. roasted with large carrots and sweet potato and onions. no salt. Served with homemade Hummus.

more tea

Just got Dr Joshi's book in the mail today!

Day5: 

B: hot water with lemon
plain yogurt with gluten free muesli

L: Pace had the day off so we went to Richie's work and ate take out with him. Richie didn't know 'no peanuts' so he got peanut sauce with vegetables and chicken. Also a spicy curry with vegetables. No rice! Peppermint Tea to drink

I burped so much while I was eating and my stomach kind of burned after.  I think it was all the spice! I never thought that I had a sensitivity to spice!

snack: Gluten free bread (homemade by neighbor) with goat's cheese
banana

D: Stir-fry of two different kinds of Bok-choi, broccoli, onions, fresh garlic, tofu (seasoned with about 2 tsp of gluten free soy sauce, olive oil, fish sauce, and turmeric), and Kale. Sprinkled with fresh ginger.


sips of Coconut Water
more tea and water

snack: buckwheat gluten free 'cracker type' spread with Sunbutter

Day 6:

Lost 3 pounds. I'm sure I'll gain it back once I'm back to eating delicious German bread.

B: hot water with lemon

RAN 4 MILES

snack: frothed almond milk

L: Soup with chicken, Kale, sweet potato, celery (leftovers turned into soup)

banana
gluten free crackers

D: Grilled Salmon with homemade Avocado dip, baked brussel sprouts on the side



Day7: Sunday

B: Hot water and lemon, Yogurt with Gluten free Musli
Green Tea

Lunch: Leftover cabbage soup, leftover salmon

Dinner: Gluten Free Oatmeal with Flax seeds and one chopped banana
One piece of gluten free toast with goat's cheese sprinkled with raw honey.


Day 8: Monday

B: Hot water with lemon, Muesli with coconut milk

Water, Tea

RAN 4.5 Miles

Lunch: Smoked salmon, kale and one scrambled egg (late lunch)

Snack: feeling so low on energy (had a Roo'bar) Gluten free Raw hemp chia seed snack bar. definitely a splurge!

Dinner: Homemade Organic Pumpkin soup (3 small bio pumpkins with one large onion, 5 large cloves of garlic and one large piece of ginger cooked with 2 boxes of Organic Vegetable Broth and then Blended together). Sprinkled with fresh nutmeg. Topped with fresh parsley and basil. No salt and pepper! Amazing.
side: baked Chicory (seasoned with Herb de provence, salt and peppa)


Snack: a few rice crackers

Green smoothie: richie made a smoooodie. it was sooo good that i want to make it again.

1/3 cup almonds
1 tbs wheat grass powder (add first)
1/3 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup uncooked rolled oats
2 bananas
2 cups ice (add last)
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp raw honey (optional)

Day 9: 

hot water and lemon
B: Musli and Almond milk

green tea

L: (i'm filling this in two days later and i can't remember!!)

D: Chicken Coconut Curry with spinach
super hungry about an hour after dinner

snack: green smoothie


Day 10:

B: plain yogurt with banana, Fennel Tea

Ran 5 miles

more water and tea

L:  homemade leftover pumpkin soup with fresh parsley (ate late)

a few carrot sticks and hummus

D: Turkey schnitzel coated with Ground Pecans
(I had acid reflux after this meal) ??

snack: Red Beet Smoothie
slice of fresh baked Gluten Free bread made without yeast (water and a squeeze of fresh lemon)
frothed almond milk

Day 11:

B: Muesli, banana, and Almond Milk
Hot water and lemon

L: Leftover Chicken Curry with spinach

snack: Frothed Almond Milk, Hummus and carrots

D: Collard Greens with Yucca Root and Sweet Potatoes


Day 12: Friday

B: yogurt with muesli & tea

ran 4 miles

L: Pumpkin soup leftovers and some gluten free crackers

D: It was ladies night! I went out with girlfriends and ordered duck breast (i thought this was the closest to chicken) with vegetables (and no potatoes) . I also ordered a small green salad and a large mineral water.

Day 13:  Saturday

B: yogurt with banana

L: Leftover Pumpkin soup

D: Today we had Elee's birthday party. We had it planned to cheat today. We went to the movies so I soooo cheated today. I ate about 10 pieces of candy, popcorn, a few sips of pop, a piece of ice cream cake that I shared with Richie and then a piece of pizza on the way home. Then I had a leafy salad with red beets, white radishes and seeds, along with a beer.

Day 14: Sunday

B: Banana green smoothie and water and tea

L: late lunch because of church. I got a headache really bad. Came home and ate some chicken at 2pm. Didn't drink enough during church and kicking myself for cheating on the detox bigtime!!! lesson learned. Don't try everything that's bad for you in one day.

D: Cabbage soup, but threw it up. Migraine all the way into the night and I threw up again. I know it was from all the 'tastes' of junk food yesterday!!

Day 15: Monday 1 week left!!  (weighed in at 114.5 this morning. that's the lowest i've been in 17 years.)

B: Green smoothie, tea

snack: banana

L: Cabbage soup

snack: carrot and homemade hummus

D: Elee's choice (it's his birthday)~ We're having Chicken tacos!! with brown rice, avocado topping and plain yogurt. Coconut water to drink.

snack: Elee's birthday muffin (we cheated. It's his birthday!) and Almond frothed milk

more tea and more tea


Day 16: Tuesday 

I dreamt of brotchen last night. It was so crunchy and I savored every last bite. 

lots of tea

B: yogurt and Muesli
banana

L: one leftover chicken taco with salad and red beets

snack: Almond milk
water

D: tofu stir fry with broccoli, mini bok choy, onions and garlic, rice noodles, and fresh grated Horseradish on top.

tea with honey! I'm still craving something sweet!

Day 17: Wednesday

B: yogurt and Muesli

tea

L: Turkey and few green beans and some mashed sweet potatoes

water

D: Roasted Organic Chicken with carrots and sweet potatoes and green leafy salad

water

Day 18: Thursday~THANKSGIVING!!!! I plan on cheating today!!! It's Thanksgiving!!

B: Kale and eggs with a little bit of Goat's cheese
tea

Snack: I cheated! A piece of fresh German dark sourdough bread

L: I had a small bite of everything except for the desserts. It was so good!!

water
tea

D: Two rice cakes with Sunbutter and some gluten free crackers with hummus

Day 19: Friday:

Today was tough because I was gone all day for black Friday shopping. However, I ordered food that I know that I could eat and ordered my food without white rice and potatoes that the dishes normally would come with.

B: Green Smoothie and tea

L: Tofu coconut curry Stir Fry with vegetables

water and tea

D: Grilled chicken with steamed broccoli and a green leafy salad (dressing- olive oil with lemon)

water and tea

Day 20: Saturday (TWO MORE DAYS LEFT!!!!)

B: Muesli with soya milk

L: Spinach and arugula salad with fennel and radishes and avocado

Frothed Soya milk with Cinnamon

D: Pumpkin Soup, fried wild rice with turkey with salad.

Kidney Cleanse drink: Grapefruit peeled, lemon peeled diluted with water, garlic and ginger, and Olive Oil

Day 21: The LAST DAY!!!! (okay i know I'm going to cheat a little..going to a friend's house for some Thanksgiving dinner!)

B: Bio plain yogurt with Muesli, Frothed Almond milk with cinnamon and cardamon, Tea

L: roasted chicken

D: Thanksgiving feast (stayed away from desserts) ate mostly turkey but cheated with things like a little bit of the green bean casserole.

I'm so looking forward to my COFFEE in the morning!!!!

Monday weight: (115 pounds) I ended the detox losing a grand total of 5 pounds. Richie lost 10. Losing weight was not a goal in doing the detox but a crazy realization of how my snacking (my weakness are chips and the occasional chocolates) effects my weight too. I feel over all healthy at the end of the detox. I was often exhausted during the three weeks, but my acid free stomach felt really good!

Coffee this morning was fantastic. So much that I had TWO. My stomach hurt and burned in the afternoon). I should've had just one! I added everything back to my diet too quickly. The breads, coffee, and milk (in my coffee because I was at a friend's house). I will continue to buy soya milk, rice and almond milk and change them up. The kids don't like that I don't buy milk anymore, but Elee has noticed a change that his nose isn't so stuffy anymore. I'll see if we can keep that up!

(It's been one week after the detox and I'm enjoying my coffee but I'm noticing my stomach bothering me again. I should've done the maintenance program listed in the book...adding foods back one at a time. It's possible I'll have to give up coffee. 

My mind is still processing the entire detox that I went through. Not only was it physically hard on me in some ways, it was also spiritually stimulating. I still have more to chew on but I feel so much better from doing this detox. I totally recommend it if you're looking for one to do.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!