Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Super easy Detox Hokkaido Squash Soup Recipe


This is the first time I cooked with this pumpkin-squash! Ambercup Squash, Hokkaido or Red Kuri are some of the names it goes by. I just call it pumpkin. It has a sweet and nutty flavor to it. They look like miniature pumpkins and make a fantastic soup! 

Ingredients: 
  • One large onion (cut in fours)
  • Four cloves of garlic peeled
  • Big chunk of ginger (washed and peeled)
  • 3-4 Hokkaido pumpkins

Prepare the squash. Peel the skins and cut in half. Remove the seeds and then cut in cubes. Boil the squash in a big pot with water (just covering the squash or a little less- depends on how thick you want it). Add the all the ingredients and boil. Once tender, take a hand mixer like the one pictured below. I love our handheld mixer and it's perfect for making any kind of soup that you want to puree. It stores easily too because it's small!! 

That's it! Sprinkle with fresh ground nutmeg and your favorite fresh herbs. I used Italian fresh leaf parsley and basil. Because we're detoxing I didn't add any salt or pepper. We just enjoyed the flavor of the squash. So yummy!

This recipe fed our family of 6 and we had leftovers!








Thanksgiving is here!! Which usually means stuffing not only the Turkey but ourselves with large quantities of food. What a bad time to detox!!!  At least I can eat Turkey. To be honest, I might cheat today and have a piece of pie. Who doesn't eat pie on Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is also a time to reflect on all the things we're thankful for. I try to do it day round but there is something special about the time of Thanksgiving where friends and family get together and share. I have great memories of my families' Thanksgiving feasts. Normally we'd drive up to Bad Axe, Michigan, and stay with my grandparents and cousins overnight. The kids crashed on the floor in sleeping bags, the guys would wake up really early and go deer hunting, and the house always smelled of amazing food. This time of year is when I really miss being away from family.


We'll be celebrating with some friends and not hosting this year. I look forward to that!
We have so much to be thankful for don't we?


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!