As far back as I can remember I haven't made a New Year's Resolution. Why would I make a change at a specific time of year if I'm not ready? This year is no different. The timing of the New Year, and my conviction to being more available to my kids and more productive at home happens to coincide. So, my lists aren't New Years resolutions, just my lists....in a season of needed change. And I'm super stoked! This only came after breaking a few habits and being encouraged by less time on the computer. The amazing thing is that I'm starting to finally feel some focus and I'm excited with this change.
We started in August when we took away electronics from our kids. They don't have phones or Ipods so it was basically the video gaming we took away. You can read my post on Why We Chose to Ditch Video Games here. It's what we did, because it works for us.
Our kids are at a ripe age where they still want to hang out with us weirdos (yup, that would be Richie and I). I don't want to lose that time! They've been doing really great without the electronics and I bet my mother in law could attest to the fact that they didn't ask to play games over Christmas break. We played Family Feud a few times and a very, very, verrryy long game of Monopoly and just hung out. Josiah played some Basketball with our new hoop! Ooh, and I even beat Richie in a game of PIG. Left handed lay-ups rule!
I'm jealous of the people that are self starters and achievers and get things done. My husband is that person. There is absolutely no type 'A' personality in me. My ability to focus and organize takes on the shape of an Amoeba. I start folding clothes and then find something else just as important that needs to be done and I'm sure it's something that you wouldn't even notice. Then I'm another room, doing something just as important as the second thing I didn't finish, and end up having many things that are half way done and have accomplished nothing. That's me being hard on myself, but who else is gonna give me the kick in the pants that I need to change? I've decided to start keeping a task list and to be intentional about writing 'lists' to help me focus on what I want to get done. That probably sound crazy and second nature to some of you, but it's not to me. I am not a task driven person but managing my time and the ability to focus are something that I want to improve on and are becoming more important to me. This is ultimately so I can have more time with the family and simply have a little more order.
~I've started a bulletin board that has our schedule, the boys daily/weekend tasks, and even our weekly menu on it.
~I write a list before bed with everything I want to accomplish the next day. I'm so bad at making lists and being organized that I have to write, "make coffee - 15 minutes" at the top of my list so I actually get my jumpstart before 10am. It's been working. Even this week I've been done with my morning runs at 10am, and have time to get other things done before I need to pick Luna and Pace up from Kindergarten.
~I've started making our Meal plan again to save money. We had no wasted food last week! (no..wait...there was some leftover bean soup that Richie's stomach couldn't handle).
~We've started a 'task' chart for the boys. We already have a good routine going as far as what they need to do when they get home from school, such as empty their lunch boxes and do their homework. I think it makes it easier for them to have something to check off. They've checked their items off everyday since last Monday. I plan to do this mainly throughout the school year and not on summer break.
When Your Child is 6-12: Middle childhood is the last good chance to hold your child close, by John Drescher. It's only 96 pages, very simple, but packed with a lot of information. It's doesn't repeat itself. It lists one topic, talks about it and then moves on. Just started reading this, already half way through and I like it (yes it's less than 100 pages...just let me be excited)!!
The Power of a Half an Hour: Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at a Time, by Tommy Barnett. I wanted to check it out from the Library but they don't have it, so I bought it. I'm hoping this will give me some ideas to help me manage my time better.
Charles Duhigg, author of "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
The above is a link to a video interview from Huffington Post. Has anyone read this book? I was interested in reading this, but not sure if it's worth my time. I thought it was interesting what he says at the end of the video about a great way to start a new workout habit.
Bossypants, by Tina Fey. Easy to read, light hearted book. Thanks so much Stephanie for this gift. It made me laugh so hard that I would startle Richie awake just about every night until I was done.
Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running by Danny Dwyer. The book along with watching the video gave me some tools to be able to run now. After a year of stopping my training from an injury and after hundreds of dollars in doctor bills, I've been able to slowly start running again. I'm now up to 4.6 miles with no pain, using the tips from this video and book! I started this book a year ago! Glad to finally finish it up as I started running again.
The Whole Brained Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nuture your Child's Developing Mind, by Danny Siegel. I really liked this book. I highly recommend if you're a parent who has a child who 'breaks' down easily. Especially when you have tried 'everything'. This helped me realize the need to connect then redirect. It affirmed what I had started doing with one of our kids. Now I know why it works. Wish I read this when my children were younger, but I'm glad that I've read it now.
I got all of this stuff yesterday at the Thrift store for $25.00!! The best score was the Land's End Snow Suit bib for $2 (practically new), and the Anthropologie 'Sleeping on Snow sweater for $2! Plus, movies, books, and even Stephen R. Covey's, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People on Audio CD! I read the book years ago, but it will be nice to have it on audio.
I'm off to bed and I need to go write my task list for tomorrow! Goodnight!
Do you have any good tips that help you prioritize your day and help you get focused? Or do you know of a good book(s) to recommend? I really like Stephen R. Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. He has a few books on this topic that are already in my cart. I want to finish the ones on my list first. I only went by Amazon reviews when ordering my books. I'd love to hear your suggestions!
We started in August when we took away electronics from our kids. They don't have phones or Ipods so it was basically the video gaming we took away. You can read my post on Why We Chose to Ditch Video Games here. It's what we did, because it works for us.
Our kids are at a ripe age where they still want to hang out with us weirdos (yup, that would be Richie and I). I don't want to lose that time! They've been doing really great without the electronics and I bet my mother in law could attest to the fact that they didn't ask to play games over Christmas break. We played Family Feud a few times and a very, very, verrryy long game of Monopoly and just hung out. Josiah played some Basketball with our new hoop! Ooh, and I even beat Richie in a game of PIG. Left handed lay-ups rule!
I'm jealous of the people that are self starters and achievers and get things done. My husband is that person. There is absolutely no type 'A' personality in me. My ability to focus and organize takes on the shape of an Amoeba. I start folding clothes and then find something else just as important that needs to be done and I'm sure it's something that you wouldn't even notice. Then I'm another room, doing something just as important as the second thing I didn't finish, and end up having many things that are half way done and have accomplished nothing. That's me being hard on myself, but who else is gonna give me the kick in the pants that I need to change? I've decided to start keeping a task list and to be intentional about writing 'lists' to help me focus on what I want to get done. That probably sound crazy and second nature to some of you, but it's not to me. I am not a task driven person but managing my time and the ability to focus are something that I want to improve on and are becoming more important to me. This is ultimately so I can have more time with the family and simply have a little more order.
~I've started a bulletin board that has our schedule, the boys daily/weekend tasks, and even our weekly menu on it.
~I write a list before bed with everything I want to accomplish the next day. I'm so bad at making lists and being organized that I have to write, "make coffee - 15 minutes" at the top of my list so I actually get my jumpstart before 10am. It's been working. Even this week I've been done with my morning runs at 10am, and have time to get other things done before I need to pick Luna and Pace up from Kindergarten.
~I've started making our Meal plan again to save money. We had no wasted food last week! (no..wait...there was some leftover bean soup that Richie's stomach couldn't handle).
~We've started a 'task' chart for the boys. We already have a good routine going as far as what they need to do when they get home from school, such as empty their lunch boxes and do their homework. I think it makes it easier for them to have something to check off. They've checked their items off everyday since last Monday. I plan to do this mainly throughout the school year and not on summer break.
My short term reading list:
When Your Child is 6-12: Middle childhood is the last good chance to hold your child close, by John Drescher. It's only 96 pages, very simple, but packed with a lot of information. It's doesn't repeat itself. It lists one topic, talks about it and then moves on. Just started reading this, already half way through and I like it (yes it's less than 100 pages...just let me be excited)!!
The Power of a Half an Hour: Take Back Your Life Thirty Minutes at a Time, by Tommy Barnett. I wanted to check it out from the Library but they don't have it, so I bought it. I'm hoping this will give me some ideas to help me manage my time better.
Charles Duhigg, author of "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
The above is a link to a video interview from Huffington Post. Has anyone read this book? I was interested in reading this, but not sure if it's worth my time. I thought it was interesting what he says at the end of the video about a great way to start a new workout habit.
By the time I get the kids in bed at night, I don't have not much energy to read. I prefer to watch a movie or a t.v. show. I've started keeping books on my nightstand, and will read a few pages before going to bed.
I finally finished some books the past couple months! These books were worth finishing and it gives me JOY when I finish a book.
Chi Running: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running by Danny Dwyer. The book along with watching the video gave me some tools to be able to run now. After a year of stopping my training from an injury and after hundreds of dollars in doctor bills, I've been able to slowly start running again. I'm now up to 4.6 miles with no pain, using the tips from this video and book! I started this book a year ago! Glad to finally finish it up as I started running again.
The Whole Brained Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nuture your Child's Developing Mind, by Danny Siegel. I really liked this book. I highly recommend if you're a parent who has a child who 'breaks' down easily. Especially when you have tried 'everything'. This helped me realize the need to connect then redirect. It affirmed what I had started doing with one of our kids. Now I know why it works. Wish I read this when my children were younger, but I'm glad that I've read it now.
I got all of this stuff yesterday at the Thrift store for $25.00!! The best score was the Land's End Snow Suit bib for $2 (practically new), and the Anthropologie 'Sleeping on Snow sweater for $2! Plus, movies, books, and even Stephen R. Covey's, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People on Audio CD! I read the book years ago, but it will be nice to have it on audio.
I'm off to bed and I need to go write my task list for tomorrow! Goodnight!
Do you have any good tips that help you prioritize your day and help you get focused? Or do you know of a good book(s) to recommend? I really like Stephen R. Covey, author of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. He has a few books on this topic that are already in my cart. I want to finish the ones on my list first. I only went by Amazon reviews when ordering my books. I'd love to hear your suggestions!


No comments:
Post a Comment
My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!