Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Vietnamese Pho Ga~ Recipe (authentic)


What do you get when four girls and a baby go to a nail salon? Okay, besides pedicures....A recipe for Pho Ga!!


Sweet sweet Mya...

all of us

I was so excited to find out that the ladies doing our nails were from Vietnam. I told her my favorite soup is Pho Ga and that I just coudn't seem to get it right when I made it myself, and I tried many times. Not only did she tell me how to make it, but she went and bought all the fresh ingredients that I needed to make it, including a Pho Ga chicken base, and wet, fresh noodles! I had never had the fresh noodles before! I love when people are genuinely excited for you to try the food of their country. I will never forget these ladies, and I'll be heading over to their salon again next time we visit my sister in Virginia.  

I'm happy to share this recipe with you as well as the tips I learned from her. I figured out what I was doing wrong and I can whip up a batch of this soup in no time and have it taste like I'm sitting in a restaurant. Only better.
the fresh rice noodles

You can purchase Pho Ga Base and also the spice bags at a Asian supermarket. I couldn't find the spice bags, so I bought individual bags of Black cardamon, Cinnamon Sticks, and Star Anise. I have a lot left over so I mixed them all into one larger bag for many more uses. The spices are actually for Pho Bo (beef soup), but it depends on your taste whether you add it or not. I really like this flavor in the chicken soup.  







With two kids in Kindergarten and two in school, we are getting colds all the time. Chicken soup really does help! Sometimes, this is the only thing that sounds good if I have a cold. If you're looking for a new way to try chicken soup, try it this way! The fresh ingredients make it so yummy and the hot sauce will definately clear you out! This is by far my favorite why to eat Chicken soup. Pho Ga! 

Ingredients you will need:

~Pho Ga Base (or chicken base and fish sauce)
~Rice Noodles (we need at least two packs)
~Big chunk of fresh Ginger
~One large onion
~Spices (star anise, black cardamom, cinnamon sticks~ a couple of each) tied off in a cheese cloth for easy removal
~2 pounds of Chicken sliced in pieces (I use chicken breast because it's easier for me, but she told me to use Chicken on the BONE...that's the authentic way.)

~Fresh bunch of Cilantro
~Fresh bunch of Thai Basil (with purple-ish stems)
~Limes (quartered)
~Fresh bean sprouts
~Fresh Jalepenos (sliced)

Condiments:
~Hoison Sauce (on the side)
~Sriracha Hot Sauce (on the side)

The Broth~
Bring a big stock pot of water to almost boiling. While waiting, add one large chopped onion and the sliced chicken. Add the large chunk of ginger and the spices. (Don't let the water boil, because the you'll get that ugly froth on top). After about 20 minutes, removed the spices and the ginger. You can slice the ginger and add as a garnish to the soup later. 

Once chicken is almost cooked all the way through, you can add the Pho Ga base. About 1/3 -1/2 of jar. If you don't have the Pho Ga Base, I'm sure you can add regular chicken base or stock along with a little bit of fish sauce as there is fish sauce in the Pho Ga base). Put on low heat and simmer. Add some freshly chopped cilantro. 

The Noodles~
Bring large pot of water to a boil. Rinse the rice noodles in warm water. Let them sit in warm water to soften (I usually let sit during the time I prepare everything else). Boil the noodles for only 3 minutes! I would always cook them way too long. Rinse the noodles again in warm water and place in strainer. Put the noodles in bowls and pour the hot broth on top of the noodles.

Serve with all the yummy fresh ingredients. Don't forget to use chopsticks and a big spoon! It's okay that it gets all over face. You're supposed to make a mess. ;) 

Storing the leftovers~ 
Make sure to store the rice noodles separate from the broth. It's tastes much better that way.








2 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me this awesome story when we were in VA!! Love it! (and great photography--were you shooting in RAW?!) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi carri! thanks! i don't think this was in RAW but it was with my lovely new camera. the flash broke so i had to send it in just last week. i'm currently without it, but i have my old one. miss you girl!

      Delete

My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!