My friend, Suze (and also cousin in~law; so glad she's in the family), from Daily Vibrant, wrote a great blog entry on her struggle with an Eating Disorder ('issue' is the new term) and her struggle with body image. She has a way with words. Although I haven't had an eating disorder, I could totally relate to her struggle with body image as I'm sure many women can. In a world where models with the 'perfect' body (airbrushed bodies) are plastered everywhere, or woman that seem to 'have it all', it's very easy to relate to struggles with body image. We put so much pressure on ourselves to conform to other peoples likeness or to have other people 'tell' us what's cool or what is beautiful. As women, it is easy to do. As a woman, that's something that I struggle with from time to time. Every day I'm reminded of the blessings in my life and then all of the 'stuff' seems to fade away. But if you're like me, the struggles we have with our body image is a reality, and it's great to be able to share the struggles.
I want to say a big "Thank you" to Suze for letting me share her blog post. I hope it will help someone else that might be struggling with simliar issues. Please take a moment to check out her blog entry called, " I did it". Below is just a small portion of it, please click the link to her blog to read it all. You will be blessed!
"I talked to Ann about my intense insecurity regarding my body and my struggle to find balance with exercise. She recommended that I go to see Brooke who specializes in the areas of body image, etc. Basically, seeing her is the next step. Right now my thoughts are consumed with negativity about my body, about my inconsistent workouts, etc. I don't want to focus so much energy on such fleeting things. I want to accept myself and learn balance in these areas. I told Ann that I feel lame when I see my friends accomplishing major physical goals like marathons, P90X, etc. I think it's AWESOME that they have accomplished these things but I can't help but wonder why I can't seem to pull it together long enough to do something like this. (Insecurity is pretty selfish, btw.) We talked about how I am still in the healing process and that I need to be more gracious with myself in the meantime. Oh, don't get me wrong .... I really like to workout. I love feeling flexible and energetic, I just keep placing these lofty goals on myself and then I FREAK OUT when I fall short. It's not as though I'm a lazy sloth. I mean, I have two small children, am pregnant and still get up early several times a week to exercise. I just need to stop freaking OUT.
I'm looking forward to meeting with Brooke and letting go of this insecurity."
I want to say a big "Thank you" to Suze for letting me share her blog post. I hope it will help someone else that might be struggling with simliar issues. Please take a moment to check out her blog entry called, " I did it". Below is just a small portion of it, please click the link to her blog to read it all. You will be blessed!
"I talked to Ann about my intense insecurity regarding my body and my struggle to find balance with exercise. She recommended that I go to see Brooke who specializes in the areas of body image, etc. Basically, seeing her is the next step. Right now my thoughts are consumed with negativity about my body, about my inconsistent workouts, etc. I don't want to focus so much energy on such fleeting things. I want to accept myself and learn balance in these areas. I told Ann that I feel lame when I see my friends accomplishing major physical goals like marathons, P90X, etc. I think it's AWESOME that they have accomplished these things but I can't help but wonder why I can't seem to pull it together long enough to do something like this. (Insecurity is pretty selfish, btw.) We talked about how I am still in the healing process and that I need to be more gracious with myself in the meantime. Oh, don't get me wrong .... I really like to workout. I love feeling flexible and energetic, I just keep placing these lofty goals on myself and then I FREAK OUT when I fall short. It's not as though I'm a lazy sloth. I mean, I have two small children, am pregnant and still get up early several times a week to exercise. I just need to stop freaking OUT.
I'm looking forward to meeting with Brooke and letting go of this insecurity."
~Suze
No comments:
Post a Comment
My love language is WORDS (of affirmation). I'd love to hear from you....really!